By using MyVR's services you agree to our Cookie Use - We use cookies to improve your experience on our site, analytics and marketing efforts.

Knowledge Center

Get More Renters. Work Less.

I'm having electrical problems at my vacation rental. Should I hire a professional?

It's clear I need some electrical work done at my property. Is it easy to tackle myself or should I hire a pro?

Asked By: Mike

Tags: Maintenance New to Renting Property Management

1 Answers

For electrical issues, it’s generally recommended to call up a licensed professional. Electricity is one of the more dangerous DIY fields—you can electrocute yourself, obviously, or cause a significant fire. Plus, you have to call in an inspector to examine the finished work. Skimming any electrical work might even damage your insurance rates or the resale value of your property. Unless you’re absolutely confident or have significant experience, pay a little more for a professional.

For more on home renovations, including plumbing issues, read about DIY vs. professional vacation rental maintenance.